Ginger Cinnamon Protein Bars!
Protein bars are a part of my every day diet, so making sure I have an option that is high in protein, moderate in carbs and LOW in sugar is crucial to keeping my eating plan on track — and these home made treats are rewarding and satisfying, without being a ‘glorified candy bar’ like store bought protein bars Believing that credit should always be given where it is due, this recipe was inspired by Jamie Eason’s protein bar recipes, which I highly recommend. She has some wonderful flavors!
Ginger-Cinnamon Protein Bars
- 1 cup oat flour (Blended oats)
- 2 scoops vanilla whey protein
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 egg whites
- 6 oz baby food applesauce
- 4 oz water
- ~2 tbsp each of cinnamon and ginger (to taste, I like lots)
- Optional: crushed walnuts or almonds
Optional: 1/2 cup of preferred no sugar sweetener
These can be baked in a cake tin, but I prefer to do mine in a muffin/cupcake pan. I find they cook more evenly this way, and are perfectly portion sized!
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F
- Mix wet and dry ingredients separately, mix thoroughly
- Combine ingredients, add optional nuts if desired.
- If using a muffin tin, line with cupcake holders or a very thin coating of olive oil to prevent stick.
- Place thoroughly mixed ingredients in the cake pan or muffin tin
- Let bake for 20 minutes, then perform a quick check to ensure they are cooking through. Cook for another 5-10 minutes as needed.
- Let cool before removing from pan or cutting.
**Stick these in the fridge! They CAN, and WILL go bad otherwise. Remember, there are no preservatives!